Wednesday, August 22, 2012

This or That: Skull Loafers

Happy Hump Day Everyone! If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you know how much I heart the color black and skull detail on clothing, shoes, and accessories. I'm obsessed! And not because I'm morbid or anything, but I think it marries my love for classic, sophisticated looks, but adds a edgy flair. Any who, I came across these Alexander McQueen Skull-embellished velvet loafers and I absolutely loooooove them!

Alexander McQueen Skull Loafers

McQueen is known for using the skull detail in a lot of his looks, which is right up my ally and these slipper loafers don't disappoint. With a price tag of almost $600 bucks, however, I would never be able to afford them myself so that motivated me to find similar loafers that I could still achieve the McQueen look, but for way less money.

Target, where I shop all too often, likes to stick with the trends of the season and offers a more budget-friendly find for just $20. Isn't that fabulous?! I figured with the Target find and a little DIY skill, I could re-create the McQueen loafer for a fraction of the price. 

The Target loafers aren't velvet or leather, but their a "suedette" material, which means their faux suede (and with all these rainy days we've been having here in Florida, that's probably a good thing). I went to Michael's, a local craft store, to purchase the studs and a pattern--which were like two dollars a piece--and then I simply glued them to the top of the shoe.


Here's my DIY version:




What do you think?! Not too shabby, huh?!

Create the look: 

Pair either shoe with cuffed jeans, a button down top and a structured blazer for a casual work day look or simple colored skinnies and a flowy tank for a weekend look.

Splurge: Alexander McQueen || Budget: Mossimo for Target











No comments:

Post a Comment