Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Naturally You-nique




Hey dolls!

These days it seems like every little brown girl is going natural. Going natural simply means one doesn't use harsh chemically filled products to manage their hair. I have been natural, in a sense, for about 3 years now. I do still dye my hair ever-so-often, but I no longer put a relaxer in my hair to chemically make my natural curls, straight. It was definitely a challenge for me to make the transition from chemically straightening to natural. I endured a lot of hair breakage and had to get my locks cut regularly to maintain manageability. I also had to learn to use better products for my hair, ones that promoted healthy hair growth and strengthening. My go-to products are anything infused with Shea butter, Jojoba oil, aloe Vera or honey. Anything that is typically regarded as "good" for your skin, should be good for your hair.

Now that natural hair is becoming such a movement, their are more products being made to cater towards brown skin people hair such as Miss Jessie's, Shea Moisture products, Kinky Curly, and Carol's Daughter. Some of those products are a little pricey though. I don't buy into the hype that these are the only product lines that can give you a head full of manageable curls. Though these products are supposed to cater towards african hair types, i believe any product that has natural ingredients will work for anyone, when used properly, to achieve the most desirable natural hair look. I personally use Wen by Chaz Dean to wash my hair and use a Pure Shine Curl Lotion (found at Walgreens) my everyday curl tamer. My advice for going natural is:


-Don't jump on the curly hair product bandwagon. Not every product works best for everybody. So don't think you have to buy certain brands everyone else uses to get healthy manageable curls.

-Don't be a product junkie. Don't over buy styling products because you think it's the only necessary way to give you the look you desire.

-Don't spend excessive amounts of money on salon styles like Twist-outs or curl up-dos.

-Play with your hair. You have to be willing to try products and find what works best for your hair type. Nobody has bad hair, but not all hair types are treated equally. Some African American specific products may work for some, but not for others. Try some and see.

Anyway, I would love to hear about your hair journey if your natural or if your thinking about making the transition. What are some of your favorite products? Do you agree spending more is better?

Be social and share.


Fashionably yours,

Chi







Images courtesy of Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment